I was looking into sandstorm, a personal cloud platform with an architecture based on the wonderful capability security paradigm, and I found a rust application, acronymy, that uses the native API rather than the traditional POSIX environment.
I started poring over the code and followed the dependency link to
linuxfood's rustsqlite. I started working on a memory safety
issue etc. but soon found a number of large-scale API design
issues that I wasn't sure how to approach with the upstream
developers. I was also inspired by
ToSql and such
from sfackler's rust-postgres API.
So I started from scratch, using bindgen,
Result (sum types) etc.
Thanks to apoelstra and others in the rust community IRC channel, I'm making pretty good progress. The API isn't stable yet; testing continues to turn up issues at a pretty high rate. But it's getting there.
Open source collaboration and QA tools are great these days. Not only do we have rust-sqlite3 on github, but every time I push there: